Thursday, February 18, 2010

An hour a day

I started tracking my training on Training Peaks. It's kind of interesting to see how much time you spend training and how much time you thought you spent training. I find that on average I spend an hour a day. I've given up my rest day to do strength or swimming. I thought I would regret that, but I haven't yet. I came upon a realization as I was swimming my last fifty the other day. I've been having difficulty with this rhythmic breathing business. Despite the advice I've gotten from some more accomplished swimmers I've struggled with this particular aspect of swimming. The realization is this; I don't need to gasp a huge lung full of air every time I breathe. Just take in what I need. Why the hell I thought I needed to gasp a big amount of air is beyond me. I don't breathe that way when I run or bike. So, I'm putting together more pieces of the puzzle and I'm looking forward to spending some time in the pool Saturday to work on that aspect of my stroke. The running and biking are really just moving along steadily. When it starts to warm up, I think I'm going to extend my mid and longs by a half mile or so. My goal this summer is to do three events. Claremore OK in April, Willard in May and Republic in August. Next year, if I complete these three, I'm going to try to actually compete in at least one. After that, I want to do an open water swim event. I really miss playing volleyball, but this is starting to take it's place as my favorite sport.

No comments:

Post a Comment