Sunday, August 8, 2010

What's in a name?

When do you become a Tri-Athlete? Is it when you begin to train like one? After you complete your first swim/bike/run event? How big does that event have to be, sprint distance, Olympic, Iron man? I would like to consider myself a tri-athlete. But I think I have to say I'm more of an aspiring tri-athlete. I've been training seriously all year for sprint distance races. I've completed three and I'm on track to complete four for sure and perhaps five. I think I can call it a success when I've completed an Olympic distance, open water swim race. But will that even be enough?

Looking to the future; I know I want to keep on doing this. I've never felt better in my life. And it's not about the health. It's about the race. Without the races, I would not train with the same intensity that I do now. I wouldn't challenge myself in the pool, on the bike or on foot. As I said before, I want to do some bigger events. I also want to get faster in the shorter events. I'm not sure I have the inclination to do a full IM race. I may, someday, attempt a half IM. With my first season coming to a close, I'm finding it a little sad. I'll shift gears soon to begin training for a half marathon. If the training goes well, I'll do one in early November. In the near future, I expect to do a 10k or two, and a 5k or two before the end of the year. Shifting gears to a running only workout will be a little odd. I've gone back through this blog since I started writing it, and I'm pretty amazed at how far I've come. I have more to build upon for next year. I also have a lot to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment