Friday, January 21, 2011

Return to running

Well, I finished my first run since 11/22. It felt really good to be out moving again. The elliptical is fine and I may use it as a way to phase the running back into my routine. I ran 30 laps on the indoor track at the Meyer Center. 9 laps make a mile, so I ran about 3.3 miles. I ran a respectable time too. Not too bad for being out of it for so long. I guess I was getting more good out of the cardio I was allowed to do since my last follow-up.

Swim class is going really well. I hope I'm building some good habits. I know it's terribly easy to revert to the old ways. I found that out tonight during a swim workout that didn't include drills. I may miss class this Sunday. I should be able to get in a technical swim regardless. The drills are hard, but helpful. I don't know if I'm getting any faster, but I think I'm becoming more efficient. I also know that I'm way ahead of where I was this time last year.

PT is going well. I decided that PT is going to have to be my strength training for the time being. Doing some of the things I was doing was causing me some shoulder pain, so I decided to lay off of it until I'm stronger. My therapist challenges me more each time I go, so I'm making progress. Sometimes it doesn't seem like it though. It's little things that help me to tell that I'm getting better though. Things like palming the wheel when I drive, putting away dishes or laundry, and drying my butt with a towel. I couldn't do any of this stuff a month ago without shrugging my shoulder.

No comments:

Post a Comment